Trimix is a mixture of alprostadil, phentolamine, and papaverine that works by relaxing the smooth muscle and opening the blood vessels in your penis.
The tissue that causes you to get an erection (erectile tissue) is a muscle. Going long periods of time without an erection is unhealthy for erectile tissue and may damage it.
A penile injection helps you have an erection. It works best if it’s given about 5 to 15 minutes before you want an erection.
Trimix is a mixture of 3 ingredients: alprostadil, phentolamine, and papaverine. These ingredients work by relaxing the smooth muscle and opening the blood vessels in your penis, causing an erection.
A doctor will determine the best combination of medications for your condition. In order to determine which medication will be most effective, a doctor will do some in-office testing to determine the smallest dose which will still be the most effective.
- Papaverine – A potent vasodilator that increases blood flow to the penis.
- Phentolamine – A potent vasodilator that increases blood flow and cardiac output.
- Prostaglandin – An ingredient that increases blood flow and arterial velocity into the penis and increases retention.
Phentolamine and Papaverine were the first medications used for the treatment of ED. Prostaglandin has been FDA approved for ED treatment. In some instances, the injection may cause some temporary burning sensation which most commonly occurs with the amount of Prostaglandin that is used.
Some practitioners are aware of the burning associated with Prostaglandin use and will mix in some lidocaine to help alleviate the burning sensation.
Tell a doctor all of the medications you’re taking, especially if you’re taking one of the following:
- medication for high blood pressure;
- medication for depression, or classified as an MAO inhibitor such as phenelzine;
- a sleep aid.
Don’t hesitate to contact our medical expert for any questions.